[mythtv-users] Why 2 cards for PIP?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Apr 12 22:19:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:45:11PM -0000, Risto Treksler wrote:

> > I have myth options set to save the position as a bookmark whenever you
> > leave a program (something that should also be the default, or which should
> > be saved in addition to the bookmark)
> >

> I agree and I am planning on trying to code this
>
> Here is my idea
>
> - myth saves position on every exit
>   - this is separate from a bookmark (where you left off)
>
> - allow multiple bookmarks
>   - kinda like chapter selections :)
>
> - change the "play from:" menu to
>   - play from beginning
>   - play from where you left off
>   - play from a bookmark
>
> - when you select "play from a bookmark"
>   - you get a list of bookmarks or even
>     a set of thumbnails from each bookmark

I think Myth's UI needs fewer things, not more, so I am not thrilled
with expansion of menus.   I would just always go to where you left
off (which is what a videotape does or a tivo does) with easy ways to
get to the other interesting places in a video.    The interesting places
include the start and end of course, and bookmarks, and commercial marks
and cutlist marks.

A basic UI would display the play-bar for the video and use colours and
marks to show all these.    ie. like the editing mode, blue for valid video,
red for cut or commercials, clear/white for not-yet-recorded/missing, and
green lines for bookmarks.

A fancy UI would pop up captured frames at the bookmarks and one-second-past
cut-in marks, effectively a scene directory similar to what DVDs have.  That's
a big step of course.    The simple UI's bar almost exists in the editing
mode UI already, and there was talk that this is the bar that should show
up in the OSD any time it shows a bar.

But no more menus.  "Show, don't tell!" as writers like to say.