[mythtv-users] DVI color conversion

Michael Knoll michael.knoll at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:18:47 UTC 2005

I read before that a computer's DVI output uses the full range of
values(0-255) for each color component.  But, a TV cuts of the ends,
if I remember, it was anything below a 4 is taken as black.  So RGB
4,4,4 respectively is as black as RGB 0,0,0.  I'm using DVI to HDMI
into my Sony HDTV.  The images do appear dark, and detail is lost in
dark scenes.  I've tried upping the brightness, but it doesn't seem to
be accurate.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?  Is there any was to convert a
computer's DVI output range to a TV DVI output range?

Mike