[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:18:29 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 12:31 PM, Risto Treksler <risto at elkhornbanff.ca> wrote:
> luckily, we already know exactly what preceeds and follows every commercial
> - a blank frame

Not always, I know networks that sometimes edits these out.  But for
the most part true.

> the obvious problems with fingerprinting is that
> - it can't work for newly aired shows and

True, but you don't have to run mythcommflag right after a recording.
You can schedule it for a later date.  But this is a very valid point.

> - it relies on someone not poisoning the database
>  (much like p2p networks have been poisoned with fakes)

Good Point... it could happen, buy how/why?  Besides, this is not a
replacement for mythcommflag, just another thing it can add to it's
already useful arsenal to make a better educated decision.  Lets say
it received poisened or bad data... it still should be able to look at
that data and say "does that make since based on what I already have
analyzed or how many people have validated a show.  Redundant
fingerprints should eliminate that.

> - it couldn't hope to cover nearly enough shows to be useful

Another valid point, but my argument for that is that mythcommflag can
meet the needs of the millions of programs out there and people can
happily do what they've already done.  But how many times a day do
different networks rerun Seinfeld or Law & Order?  Or how many people
watch/record 24, Lost, etc?  Tons.  It's all about popularity :)

>  (or am i being naive)

maybe I am... this could all be a pipe-dream.  =D