[mythtv-users] Can someone describe an HDTV 3000 setup?

John Sturgeon mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Apr 12 17:26:12 UTC 2005

Chad wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm looking at getting an HDTV 3000 from pchdtv.com  I am pretty
>confused about a few things though, so here is what I think:
>
>I strap in the HDTV 3000 into an empty PCI.  From there I run a coax
>cable from an antenna I buy from somewhere like bestbuy (something
>like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&skuId=6830888&type=product&id=1091101853964
>).

aack!  Don't buy a $99.00 HDTV antenna.  That's about $75.00 of
marketing.  All HDTV needs is a plain ol' UHF Antenna.  I use the Silver
Sensor (I think Zenith is the mfg. but it's OEM'ed by like 20 different
companies) in my attic and get AWESOME reception - cost me $20.00.  You
should visit: http://www.antennaweb.org/ to figure out exactly what
antenna you need for where you live.

>From there the HDTV 3000 shows up as a new videoX and dspX device.
> I then run mythsetup and configure a new capture card, and put in the
>new devices and that's it?

'Shows up'... heh heh...   .. (sorry.. that's an inside joke for
everybody who has an HD-3000 card)

Build the drivers, then decide whether you want to go with the atsc or
dvb modules (I recommend dvb).  Also, the audio for HDTV is ac3 embedded
in the Transport Stream.

>Another way I was thinking it goes:
>
>You plug your antenna into the HD3000 card and then run the S-Vid
>cable to another capture card on your system, such as a bttv card that
>is already configured in mythtv.  However, this would seem to me to
>completely defeat the purpose of capturing HDTV, as it switches it to
>analog before the capture.

I think you're missing something fundamental here.  First, the S-Video
on the HD-3000 is for capture, not output.  Second, if it was output,
you would have no way to tune your HDTV card if you don't configure it
in MythTV.  Third... heck.. there's a lot wrong with this.. basically,
what I'm saying here is scrap that idea completely, it's a non-option.
What you need to do is configure your HD-3000 in MythTV as a seperate
card.  They can sit side by side with other capture cards.

>And for the output portion of all this:
>How do you get the HD signal from your HTPC to your TV?  I have heard
>that there really aren't any 'good' TV-Out cards that have component,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'good TV-Out' cards, but I use the GT6600
video card with component out, and it works great.  Another option is to
get the FX5200 and a VGA->Component adapter (ends up being about the
same price), there are probably some folks who do straight DVI, but
overall, I think the issues are all the same... modeline, modeline,
modeline.  What kind of TV do you have?  Is it an  HDTV?

>and I have also heard that svid doesn't cut it for HDTV.  Does
>everyone with an HD card in their computer have DVI outs on their vid
>cards and DVI in's on their TV's?

You're right about S-Video.  The only way to get HD to your TV is either
HDMI,DVI or Component.

>Thanks for any info, and feel free to point me to any walk throughs on this.

Good luck.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/mythtv.php