[mythtv-users] Re: recording HD content

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 12 06:34:57 UTC 2005

Hi Joe,

Joe Votour writes:

> I don't do HD myself (I guess I'm behind the times
> with my analog cable), but yes, it can be done.
> However, if you plan on using a system with a
> proprietary system (pretty much anything but OTA in
> the U.S.), then you'll have to use their set-top box
> to receive (and decrypt) the channels, and then record
> them on your MythTV machine.  This can be done by
> Composite/S-Video, coaxial (if your set-top box
> outputs in coaxial) or (possibly) Firewire.

Hmmm. I think, if we send out the HD stream via s-video, quality is already
degraded. Also, quality of s-video is just ok. Is there a way to preserve it
just like how we do it in Air2PC? Remember, s-video is analog. HD content is
digital.

I would like to know if someone is doing this kind of recording. How is the
picture quality? But will it really be able record the HD content if the
receiver has an svideo out?

> You'll also need to have some method for MythTV to
> switch channels on the set-top - either a serial cable
> (if supported on your set-top box) or an IR Blaster.

Yep, I'm currently using a homebrew IR.

> Also, note that apparently decoding HDTV in MythTV
> requires a pretty beefy CPU and video card.  You
> should search the archives for suggestions from other
> people who are successfully doing this.

No issues with my current machine since I'm already playing HD OTA content.
Quality is awesome.