[mythtv-users] Adding a Hauppauge WinTV PVR to an existing MythTV box...

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Mon Apr 11 21:22:07 UTC 2005

Hi All again!

I'm really enjoying my MythTV box now - I've got a PVR350 and a Nexus-S card
in there working really well and providing lots of entertainment for the
whole family.

There are times when I'd really like to record two programs at the same time
and unless one is "normal" TV and one is Satellite I can't.

So I've picked up another Hauppauge card from Ebay...

It’s a "Hauppauge WinTV PVR" (but not a 250 or 350) - however it seems to be
BT878 based (hello BTTV) but also seems to have a MPEG2 encoder on-board.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work with an existing MythTV
installation?  I'm using my PVR350 for MPEG2 TV output (really good when
using a PVR350 and a Nexus-S!) but I'd guess that if I only use the BTTV
driver for the WinTV PVR card then the recordings wouldn't be MPEG2 by
default?

Is there some way to use the MPEG encoder on the Hauppauge WintTV PVR or is
there some way to record from the card and then store in MPEG2 format for
playback on the PVR350?

Many many thanks as always,

Derek

PS my lspci -v output for the my Hauppauge WinTV PVR card:

0000:01:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capt
ure (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4500
        Memory at f6afe000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

0000:01:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
Capture (r
ev 11)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4500
        Memory at f6aff000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

---