[mythtv-users] multiple capture cards and sound?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:16:08 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:07 PM, Will Dormann <wd at pobox.com> wrote:
> Larry K wrote:
> > I am running a Hauppauge PVR-250 and I'm using my MoBo's on-board
> > sound.   If I pick up another PVR-250, do I also have to buy a sound
> > card to pair with it?
>
> Why would you need another sound card?  The PVR-250 does the recording
> of the audio.

This becomes an issue if you run the output of the PVR-350 card (which
has the decoder on-board) back through the system's sound card. (Why
you'd have >1 350 in the same system I don't know ;-) ) Maybe 1 350
and then one or more 250's would be nice though!

With the PVR-250, the host system does the audio and video decoding,
and the MPEG2 stream recorded by the PVR-250 already includes the
audio stream, so no separate connection is required to the sound card
from the PVR-250.

As stated above, unless you are using a BT or similar card which
requires the soundcard to record the audio component of the recording,
no direct connection from the PVR to the soundcard is needed (unless,
as above, you are rerouting the *output* of the 350 back though the
system to enable use of SPDIF for example).

Nick