[mythtv-users] Foxtel Digital Capture card recommedation (Australia)

Jeremy Daniel Jeremy.Daniel at djj.nsw.gov.au
Sun Apr 10 23:54:16 UTC 2005

>>> Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> 10/04/2005 11:56:37 pm >>>
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:14:03PM +1000, Jeremy Daniel wrote:
> I'm yet to settle on Tuner cards for my future MythTV box.
> On the DVD-T side I'm looking at DNTV Live! or Fusion Lite as they
do
> have Linux drivers available.

I wouldn't recommend the Lite - the chipset is crap (BT878).

Suggestions:

Fusion HDTV (non-Lite)
Ultraview HDTV (non-Lite) (identical to Fusion but a few dollars
cheaper)
KWorld Xpert DVB-T PCI

The KWorld is the cheapest - $132 shipped from auspcmarket.com.au.
The hardware doesn't differ much between the three.

> However, to record Foxtel via svideo - do I need an Analogue Card?
eg
> Does the hardware decoder in say a Happauge 250 help with analogue
> capture? Or would I be just as happy recording Foxtel via the svideo
> input in the DN-TV card?

I don't know if the analogue inputs are supported, especially not at
the
same time as the DVB-T. Certainly the Fusion Lite couldn't do analog
and
digital at the same time.

> Are there any Aussies out there who have a good solution to
recording
> Foxtel.
> I don't suppose anyone's going to crack Foxtel's NDS encryption any
> time soon ;-)

Foxtel analog picture is so awful I wouldn't bother :-(
Or would you be using the SVideo out of the Foxtel Digital STB?

Hamish

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Please note I've got a Foxtel Digital STB and wish to copy svideo as
the Foxtel digital stream is encrypted.

I have a work colleague who has got the DNTV-Live card running Foxtel
and DVB-T under slackware - although at this stage I'm not sure if this
is more a proof of concept than a viable solution.

Oh well still to make my decision? I'll let you know how I go, as my
requirements are fairly unique.

Jeremy

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.  Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Department of Juvenile Justice.