[mythtv-users] UK DVB epg

Mark Smith mark at chez-moi.org.uk
Sun Apr 10 19:31:25 UTC 2005

In message <200504101722.17766.stuart at tase.co.uk>
          Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:

> The RT data is better all round, it includes not only things like category
> data but the program summaries and film information is superior. The only
> downside when compared to the on-air data is that it will be slower to
> react  to scheduling changes.

Don't forget that you're also reliant on your internet link for the RT data.
I've had issues in the past where my server has crashed whilst I've been on
holiday for an extended period or BT has screwed up my ADSL and I've been
without service. Plus, my box will be linked to my internet connection via a
wireless network once I have that up and running (it has no connection
currently) - that is likely to be the most unreliable part of the equation,
but probably like many others my TV is some distance from my computers and I
prefer not to trail ethernet cable everywhere.

For those kind of reasons I prefer to use the over-air guide data because
it's intrinsicly more reliable (or at least if I lose the guide data, I've
probably lost the ability to record anything anyway) despite the RT site
providing better quality data and 14 days as opposed to 7-8.

It's a personal choice, but I don't feel that the core recording
functionality of my PVR should be dependent it having access to a working
internet connection.

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK
http://www.chez-moi.org.uk/