[mythtv-users] UK DVB epg

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 16:22:17 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 Apr 2005 16:40, Jonathan Hart wrote:
> I'm using the ubuntu Hoary universe myth packages 0.17. There is no
> option for OTA EPG pickup in the myth setup (must of been kept out of
> the ubuntu/debian packages?), but it keeps picking up channels I didn't
> want, and adding them. It doesn't add epg data, just the actual
> channels. Anyone else had this happen? (I've used mythsetup to hide
> these channels in the myth epg, but they still come up in the OSD).

The new DVB auto-scan code is to blame.

A fix has apparently been submitted to fix the hidden channels appearing in
the OSD (Browse Mode). I haven't seen a commit message for it though so I'm
not sure it has actually been fixed.

> Also, I'm using the dvb grab software to push the OTA epg into the
> database. This data goes through OK, but doesn't seem to be that good in
> relation to categories ("movies" category is blank, etc). Is the RT
> grabber better for this kind of metadata, and would I be better off
> setting myth up with this, or is there a way create a search function
> that can pick out a list of movies from the db, for example?

The RT data is better all round, it includes not only things like category
data but the program summaries and film information is superior. The only
downside when compared to the on-air data is that it will be slower to react
to scheduling changes. I also had a BST issue when using the native OTA
support - the program information was still being sent in GMT and no matter
what I tried I couldn't get the Program Guide to display programs at the
correct times.
--
Stuart Morgan