[mythtv-users] Foxtel Digital Capture card recommedation (Australia)

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Apr 10 13:56:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:14:03PM +1000, Jeremy Daniel wrote:
> I'm yet to settle on Tuner cards for my future MythTV box.
> On the DVD-T side I'm looking at DNTV Live! or Fusion Lite as they do
> have Linux drivers available.

I wouldn't recommend the Lite - the chipset is crap (BT878).

Suggestions:

Fusion HDTV (non-Lite)
Ultraview HDTV (non-Lite) (identical to Fusion but a few dollars cheaper)
KWorld Xpert DVB-T PCI

The KWorld is the cheapest - $132 shipped from auspcmarket.com.au.
The hardware doesn't differ much between the three.

> However, to record Foxtel via svideo - do I need an Analogue Card? eg
> Does the hardware decoder in say a Happauge 250 help with analogue
> capture? Or would I be just as happy recording Foxtel via the svideo
> input in the DN-TV card?

I don't know if the analogue inputs are supported, especially not at the
same time as the DVB-T. Certainly the Fusion Lite couldn't do analog and
digital at the same time.

> Are there any Aussies out there who have a good solution to recording
> Foxtel.
> I don't suppose anyone's going to crack Foxtel's NDS encryption any
> time soon ;-)

Foxtel analog picture is so awful I wouldn't bother :-(
Or would you be using the SVideo out of the Foxtel Digital STB?

Hamish