[mythtv-users] MythTV on XBox (probably a bit OT)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 12:05:10 UTC 2005

I've just soft-modded my son's XBox and am extremely relieved that it
still all works! I then installed XBox Media Centre and XbmcMythtv. I
can see the program guide and list of recorded programs which is
really exciting but when I try to play a recording I get "Access
Denied". To start with I thought this may have been because of an
error in the way I set up the smb:// path string to the recordings.
However, I subsequently saw a post which said that only MPEG2 is
supported and as I'm MPEG4 I was wondering whether this may be what's
causing the Access Denied message. Anyone have any ideas on that?

What other options would I have apart from installing a linux distro
on the XBox and running Mythfrontend proper? I'm a bit reluctant to
install linux on there as a) it's an old XBox with a small hard disk,
and b) the startup times won't be anything like as convenient as
running the python scripts under XBMC.

I saw something about Gentoox MCE for Xbox -does anyone know how disk
hungry this is, whether it supports MPEG4, general comments etc?

Regards,
Phill