[mythtv-users] mysqld fails afer apt-get upgrade

Larry W larry104 at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 10 01:24:00 UTC 2005

I updated my working mythtv installation (on fc3)
today because of the problems with switching to
daylight saving time. After the apt-get upgrade the
mysqld fails to start.

Here is the log before (/var/log/mysqld.log):
--------
050409 10:06:41  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is
not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables,
add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your
my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to
the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your
hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

-----------
and after the update
050409 11:10:01  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is
not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables,
add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your
my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to
the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your
hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
050409 11:10:01  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
050409 11:10:01  mysqld ended

I played with permissions of the /var/lib/mysql
directory but, nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.