[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 00:39:35 UTC 2005

OK, ran a test the past couple of days between slack 9.1 and FC3 installed on
a combo frontend/backend; MSI K7N2GM-L w/Athlon 2700+, 512MB, using onboard
video and audio, 1 pvr250, 1 pchdtv3K.  First the install and then the
performance:

Slackware: installation was trivial (I've installed slack alot of times) d/l
kernel and built everything from source including xorg (everything being
kernel 2.6.11.6, mythtv and dependencies, mplayer, etc)

FC3: installation was trivial, had to uninstall a few packages, probably my
fault since I don't use RPM based systems, followed Jarod's guide and only
really deviated as far as pcHDTV 3K and window manager (wm over KDE)

Winner is: slackware but that is just me, for a newb I think FC3 and Jarod's
guide would get them up and running easier than slack.

PERFORMANCE:  This kills me (I'm not trying to pick a fight) I hate rpm based
systems but FC3 kicked slack's butt.  All settings are the same, use opengl
vsync, no render accell, no xvmc, suid, etc.
slack watching livetv svideo from directv pvr250 mythfrontend 33% X 3%
 watching hdtv is impossible except if you are extremely drunk and lose
 consciencenous in time to the jerkiness
FC3 watching livetv svideo from directv pvr250 mythfrontend 15% X 3%
 watching hdtv live (PBS HDTV dunno the format) mythfrontend 55% X 22%
mythbackend 3%

Winner is FC3 with at-rpms and Jarod's guide, well done guys
--
Howard Cokl
"in a world without walls and fences,