[mythtv-users] Simple sound question

Timo -Blazko- Boewing blazko at online.de
Sat Apr 9 00:52:19 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Today - since playing around w/ MythTV 0.15 I got LiveTV now running
finally :-)
I am using Debian sid with a Hauppauge Nexus-s (DVB-s) and am now able
to *watch* TV. I previously run VDR and switched to Myth due to better
DVI support for TFT TV.

Now I am quite out of bizz for a long time and have forgotten much: when
watching TV I do not hear sound, thus, here some simple questions:

- Do I have to loop sound from the DVB card to line-in of my onboard
sound card or can it be captured by Myth/DVD drivers from the PCI bus?

- I am using an external "Dolby Digial 5.1" system using S/PDIF
optcical, so, if I have the sound onboard, can I always use optical out
regardles of the current channel sends AC3 or not; or do I have also to
use a stereo wire from my sound card to the sound system?

Thank you for any hints and links in order to get sound working for me.
I know that this is a really stupid questions - but I could not find
HOWTOs and postings here where this was discussed - I only found threads
that were very into detail and did mostly not match DVB-s cards.

BTW: I am able to record from TV but cannot stop those recordings. I run
back- and frontend w/ max verbose level but no errors are thrown. The
recording is just continueing, even after a restart of the backend
(think the recording is not being deleted from the DB table).

Thank you,

Timo