[mythtv-users] HDTV and Motorola Cable Boxes vs Scientific Atlanta

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Fri Apr 8 19:17:06 UTC 2005

Michael Haan wrote:
> Trying to sort through the idiocy of my local cable company Com****.
> I've got an HDTV on the way and want to use the firwire out of the
> Motorola box.  Unfortunately, my local office says it only provides
> the SA3100.  Iknow other Com**** offices provide the Motorola box,
> just not mine.  The person I spoke to at Com**** told me that I
> couldn't use the Motorola box because it won't work.  Does any of this
> make sense?

Yes.  Here where I live (Tampa Bay Fl) we have BrightHouse/TimeWarner.
In Orlando 90 mins away, they also use TimeWarner but use diff
equipment. Just the way the cable cos are.  Yeah its a pain.

> Can I just go to a different office and get the Motorola box?

Not sure what you mean.  If your local office doesnt supply it, Id doubt
youd be able to get one at any other local office.  If your asking if
you could get a motorola cable box from another comcast office in
another city that doesnt provide service to youre area, then no I doubt
that you can do that.

> Are there any similar solutions for the SA box?

Just ask your cable co what 1394/FireWire enabled boxes they have.
There has been some work to get the SA3500 or 3800 I think it was with
firewire working.

Tom