[mythtv-users] HDTV and Motorola Cable Boxes vs Scientific Atlanta

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:10:00 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 11:59 AM, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to sort through the idiocy of my local cable company Com****.
> I've got an HDTV on the way and want to use the firwire out of the
> Motorola box.  Unfortunately, my local office says it only provides
> the SA3100.  Iknow other Com**** offices provide the Motorola box,
> just not mine.  The person I spoke to at Com**** told me that I
> couldn't use the Motorola box because it won't work.  Does any of this
> make sense?  Can I just go to a different office and get the Motorola
> box?  Are there any similar solutions for the SA box?  Will the cable
> companies ever get over their monopoly, emerge from the mid-seventies
> and start providing actual customer service?

I had a somewhat similar experience, here in the Bay Area.  I had an
old AT&T box, and wanted a new one with S-VIDEO.  So, I called
customer service and they said that they had newer ones with SVIDEO,
and to just take it to my office.  So I went on down there and told
them what I wanted... only to find out that they DON'T have them.
Apparently the call center also services Sacramento... where they DO
have SVIDEO ones.?!  So, I ended up upgrading to the HD Motorola box,
because it had SVIDEO out.  Now I've gone down the road of
experimenting with the firewire.  I still ordered a PVR-150 anyways,
because the firewire support is not 100% full-proof yet.

I would think it is "possible" to get one from another office.  I had
to activate the new box over the phone myself.  It wasn't like they
activated it in the office, or required a technician.  However, you
never know... the system you're on may not know how to handle certain
boxes... or may not get necessary firmware updates over the wire, etc.

Dave