[mythtv-users] Marriage of Email List and Forum, Can't we all just get along!!

Vincent K. Britton Vincent.Britton at wiznet.com
Fri Apr 8 15:10:27 UTC 2005

Please don't flame me!  I just wanna help!

Some people like Lists, some like Forums.  I have been looking for a
marriage of both and I think I found it.

I set up a proof of concept here http://www.drunkfools.com/testphpbb I
will leave this up for a little while but will be deleting it once Isaac
makes his decision.  You have to register with a real Email address or
the mail list function won't work :-P

With the combination of PHPBB and M2F you have the ability to post via
the Forum or sending by an Email to the Forum Address.  There is also
integration of using Mailman as the mail manager in this solution.  I
haven't really put a lot of time in to it as if Isaac says it isn't
worth the bandwidth I didn't want to waste a bunch of time.  Current
users who enjoy the mail list shouldn't notice any difference.  New
users will have the option of activating the mail list feature or using
the forum.  Since all you need is name, email address, and password, I
should be able to write a script to import the current Mailman accounts
in to PHPBB.  I haven't tried yet since I didn't know if anyone would be
interested in this.

I unfortunately can't help with developing Myth, the limited strengths I
have are in Administration and Web design.  Just trying to help if I
can.

Sincerely,

Vince