[mythtv-users] DVB to DVD

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Apr 8 09:08:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 03:28:10PM -0500, Ian Trider wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2005 7:23 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> > Is there any way of converting a DVB MPEG stream to a DVD MPEG stream
> > without reencoding and without losing the audio sync information from
> > the PTS data in the original stream?
[snip]
> To keep the audio in sync, you are going to need software that is
> simply not available in Linux.
[snip]

Project X which is written in Java and works fine in linux can
a) resync audio and video properly.  It adds and drops audio frames
   when demuxing to keep the sync.  In a typical recording it does
   this at most a couple of times when errors occurr.
b) deal with damaged MPEG (common from DVB source)
c) edit to GOP precision (about 0.5s)

http://www.lucike.info/page_projectx.htm
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/projectx-fullguide.htm

I use Project X a lot, and its the only tool I've found on linux which
works 100% of the time.

Its only disadvantage is that it is a bit slow.  However it does have
keyboard bindings (see the doom9 doc for details).

You might consider using projectx without editing (which is the slow
bits) to convert / fix your video *then* use avidemux to edit it.
Thats an experiment I keep meaning to try.