[mythtv-users] Foxtel Digital Capture card recommedation (Australia)

Joshua King jkingkard-hotmail at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 8 07:00:36 UTC 2005

Hi Jeremy,

On 8/4/05 2:14 PM, "Jeremy Daniel" <Jeremy.Daniel at djj.nsw.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My first post here.
> I've looked through the archives and not found out much about Foxtel.

There's some of us here?

> However, to record Foxtel via svideo - do I need an Analogue Card? eg
> Does the hardware decoder in say a Happauge 250 help with analogue
> capture? Or would I be just as happy recording Foxtel via the svideo
> input in the DN-TV card?

Yes you would need *either* an analog card or an MPEG encoder card. I'm
using a WinTV Go (BT878 chipset) with its composite input and its okay, but
the recordings take a lot of space.

If you were starting out, I'd suggest getting a PVR-150 MCE.

For the guide data I use D1.com.au.

> I don't suppose anyone's going to crack Foxtel's NDS encryption any
> time soon ;-)

I hope not - we're paying for this!

Hope this helps,

Joshua King