[mythtv-users] VIDIX vs Xv question

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 8 03:46:42 UTC 2005

sorry, new to the list and it's been really nice to see such an active
list (compared to some others where i've asked HTPC-related questions),
but i've got yet another question ;)

ok, i've got an ATI Radeon 9600 that i use in my htpc with the Crescendo
Systems transcoder (the external version, not the PCI version) ...
anyway, i was curious if there was any advantage of VIDIX over Xv (or
vice-versa) when it comes to video quality ... especially related to
scaling, as i sometimes have "jagged" edges on diagonal lines, since my
TV only supports 1080i/540p (others are up/downscaled to the native res)
... (ie: i can't run the dvd at it's full size, it's resized down to
720x540 in a 540p timing)

will the video driver used effect that at all or is that due to hardware
end?  what about overall performance?  i'm currently using VIDIX in a
single-display setup (i have a monitor hooked up to the breakout vga
port on the transcoder, so i can get things working w/o switching cables
b/n tv and monitor)

thx for any input and sorry if my questions haven't been completely OT,
-g-