[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 8 03:03:45 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Now for my own brief rant: folks claims that FC is somehow so much slower than
> another distro are flawed. The difference is that FC starts with an
> everything approach, so you have to trim, while others start with a nothing
> approach, so you add only what you want. Most of my RH/FC installs start with
> a minimal install, then add from there... I've run every major distro out
> there, and nothing is faster than anything else by any significant margin
> when tuned for the same job. Anywho... :-)

can't speak for FC2 or FC3, but FC1 definitely was *much* slower than
slackware with the same packages and same versions (or as close as the
distros each could get) ...

>>>Don't know why but I plan on finding out since I don't
>>>like rpm based systems and dependency checking, <rant>
>>>sorry you can't rpm -e sendmail because it is depended
>>>on by a bunch of other crap that we decided to install
>>>for you ... </rant>.
>>
>>hehehe ... exactly!!
>

> hehehe... Not exactly!! ;-)
>
> I don't have a single RH box (work or home) with sendmail installed, no use of
> --force or --nodeps anywhere and no broken deps.

ok, maybe sendmail's a bad example ... but i have *very* few things
installed on a FreeBSD box running two websites with mysql, php,
postfix, courier imap, etc ... a similar server setup with redhat would
have at least 2x the amount of packages (taking into consideration that
FreeBSD has some of the core "packages" as part of the OS itself, not as
separate packages) ... and not one of them has GTK or Qt installed
(those, especially GTK were the hardest to rid myself of on RH boxes)

>>all the versions of myth i've installed (i think i started 2 or 3
>>releases ago) have been by hand and i definitely prefer it ... call it
>>the over-anal-ness of a network admin :P
>

> I build my own rpms, same difference. :-)

yup :)

-g-