[mythtv-users] Commercial detection idea

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 8 02:50:20 UTC 2005

> I had a idea i thought might be worth a try.  Currently as i
> understand it the commercial detection code only looks at the image's
> captured, however an easy way to detect a commercial break would be to
> "listen" to the sound.  When there is no sound (or under a certain
> level) and it coincides iwth a possible break then you have an even

This has been mentioned several times and has been on my TODO list
since I started the commercial flagging code over 2 years ago, but
I've got enough things I can do with video so I haven't gotten to
the audio yet.  With the new block-based ALL method, it should be
easier to integrate, but I don't have any plans on working on it
in the short-term future.  If you'd like to do any coding to
detect these 'lulls' in the audio, feel free to submit a patch on
the -dev list.

--
Chris