[mythtv-users] Choppy playback on remote frontend only - 2 sec prebuffering pause

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Fri Apr 8 01:31:40 UTC 2005

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> Bob Wiegand wrote:
>

>>> Up to this point I've been running frontend and backend on the same
>>> machine, RH9 with a PVR350 and 250. I finally have setup another
>>> machine
>>> to be a frontend. The playback on the new frontend pauses every 2
>>> seconds for prebuffering in both LiveTV and recording playback, yet
>>> they
>>> play fine on the combo frontend/backend.
>>>

>> Are the files stored on the backend machine?
>> I've had similar problems that seem to be due to poor NFS performance.
>> If I share the drive using Samba it works - with NFS it doesn't.
>>

> In that case, take a look at your network config. Such problems point
> towards network config problems. Those can range from wrong options
> used for nfs to faulty cables.

I don't think it's his network config.

I have exactly the same situation and problem.  I was running 0.16
frontend on a RH9 machine, backend running the previous version of
knoppmyth (upgraded to 2.6.9 kernel).  It ran flawlessly under those
conditions.  Under 0.17, the remote front end has choppy audio and audio
is consistently ~2 seconds out of sync.

I'm about to totally remove the remote front end and re-install to see
if that helps.

Craig...