[mythtv-users] cablecard

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:13:16 UTC 2005

> I don't see a $100,000 license being that big an issue, this is a user
> pay society, CableLabs perform an extremely well run and organized
> industry committee.

As others have said, it is not just the money that is an issue.  They
have no desire to issue a license to open source projects as this
would compromise the very encryption (whether it would or not is
debatable, but they certainly would believe it would).

Even if $100,000 were a drop in the bucket (and I wish I was in that
position), that is not the major stumbling block.  They WILL NOT issue
a license to myth type projects.