[mythtv-users] cablecard

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:11:46 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 12:43 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 02:23:41PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > What are you talking about?  The requirements (for a 1.0 host device) are
> > formalized and quite clear.  There's no way that Myth can comply with them.
> > I doubt they'll be loosening restrictsions for the 2.0 standard.
>
> Yup; Isaac's right.

Upon reading the spec, it does appear as though this is true. But
there is only one place in the whole spec that a PVR is mentioned, and
that's in the flow diagram for "OpenCable Advanced Host Device
Components", and the only place "record" is mentioned is in the
passage on "HIGH DEFINITION PASS-THROUGH", and there it's relating to
firewire output.

There is very little in that document about a PVR system or hard-disk
recording (In fact, nothing), it is all concerned with decoding, as in
a Set-Top Box. If the tunercard can contain the OpenCable-required
items (Which is quite possible) then the host system will be free to
run any software it pleases, especially considering that it will be
the tunercard that will be enforcing the protections etc.

And if MS can do it without breaking the specs, why can't we?

> CableCard will do us absolutely no good out here beyond the Reality
> Distortion Field of Follywood, because there's no way to build a
> tunercard that conforms to those requirements, now that I have read
> them.

It must be possible. MS is touting CableCard for the next version of
XP MCE, and they're so certain of it, 3rd party manufacturers are
already making machines with PCMCIA slots ready for CableCard MCE
boxen

> Your Right To Tape Is In Danger, folks; no joke.  Go do something about
> it.

It certainly will be if the content providers misuse their "Copy
Protection" flagging and mark every program as "High Value".

> If 100,000 people call US Senators this month, and complain politely
> about the proper thing in the proper fashion, Something Will Happen.

That, and/or move up to the Great White North with me. DMCA doesn't
apply here. :)