[mythtv-users] cablecard

dean collins dean at collins.net.pr
Thu Apr 7 16:28:47 UTC 2005

[DC]
There is a big session here in NY next month so I'll report back to the
group after this event.

> Anyway...  Set-top boxes will have access to the
> unencrypted video, they will need this to run their
> "trick" modes - fast forward, rewind, on screen
> display, etc.  However, some of the processors that
> the set-tops run on will have encrypted memory and
> buses (i.e. the memory bus will be encrypted) - but
> that isn't really a necessity.
>
> Basically, what they (CableLabs) want is some sort of
> promise that the platform can't easily be compromised.
>  So, in a typical cable modem submission, you need to
> do things like:
> 1. Remove the serial port pins
> 2. Remove the shell from the DOCSIS software, or make
> it so that it only responds to a minimal set of
> commands (none of which can compromise the integrity)
> 3. Each modem has an X.509 certificate that is chained
> to the DOCSIS root authority
> Etc., etc.

[DC]
All issues that other hardware vendors in the space will need to deal
with.

At the end of the day, the video stream will be 'available' at some
point and the industry has to deal with this and make plans on how to
meet this otherwise they'll just end up in the same situation as the
music industry.

As some of you on this list know one of my companies is working with
www.akimbo.com on distributing their vod network overseas, the content
providers who have signed on with Akimbo (bbc, turner, A&E as well as
the 400 minor providers) are taking a very realistic and proactive
stance in the future of distributing their content on a global basis.

For anyone to suggest this is going to go away is kidding themselves.

Cheers,
Dean