[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 36

Peter Judge peter at judge.co.za
Thu Apr 7 03:02:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 04:58 -0400, Lee McLain wrote:
> UPDATE: I think I finally have a completely viable, universal fix to
> get both ivtv and lirc modules (no matter which lirc module you're
> using, as long as its in modprobe.conf) loading very early in the boot
> process. I simply made a few changes to rc.sysinit, which you can add
> to your system via a patch I've generated.

[snip happens]

> I am not sure if this is NECESSARY or just something that is
> recommended.  Is there anyone out there that has used this and had
> success with it?  Does it work all the time or is it a YMMV sort of
> thing?

Yes, it is necessary if you want to start the myth backed as a service,
primarily because the mythtvbackend service is started before the ivtv
and lirc services are started. These services load the  ivtv and
lirc_i2c modules. This means your capture card (if you're using a PVR-
x50) starts after Myth starts, which is a Bad Thing. You can either
apply this patch, or change the order in which things are initialized.
The latter means changing the names of the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rcx.d,
because, as far as I can tell, they determine the order in which
services are started  (of course, all of this is covered under the
Standard Disclaimer; I realised that applying Jarod's patch was the easy
option and never tested the latter approach).

HTH,
Peter