[mythtv-users] XScaling Problems when Displaying over TV Out [RESOLVED]

Jonathan Watmough jonathan.watmough at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:19:55 UTC 2005

In answer to my own question, and because I couldn't find anything
about it anywhere else, I'm posting this.

If you are outputting fairly large images like 1920x1080 to a smaller
display, like a 5200 set for TV Out, Xv appears to limit the scaling.
Not sure why it does this, but if you have the HorizSync and
VertRefresh set to something like

 Section "Monitor"           # Works ok for 720 width, sucks for 1920 width
    Identifier "Monitor[1]" #TV
    HorizSync 31.5          # 31.5 and 60 for NTSC
    VertRefresh 60
 EndSection

You will get a stretched picture, with the right edge somewhere about
6 inches outside the TV which kinda sucks.

However, if you crank up the sync and refresh, then the scaling works
correctly again.

 Section "Monitor"    # Works for 1920 yaaay !
    Identifier "Monitor[1]" #TV
    HorizSync 60             # Not liable for a damaged TV but it works for me
    VertRefresh 30-150
 EndSection

This is with the 6629 NVidia drivers on a 5200.