[mythtv-users] how to upgrade tp 0.17 AND move to a new HW ?

cythrault at gmail.com cythrault at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:41:34 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 2:30 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2005 2:39 AM, Uwe Schmidt <uwe.uwe at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Actually, I ran a 0.16 with two DVB-S cards mounted in an old 400 MHz PC,
> > SuSe 9.1, compiled from source, running as backend only.
> >
> > everything is working quite well, but I want to move the DVB-S cards to a
> > housing where cooling them is possible. For the old Siemens-PC-housing,
> > there is no possibility to mount any fans in a senseful way therefor.
> > and, because of DVB-support improved a lot from 0.16 to 0.17, I also want to
> > upgrade.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=009

:)

> > so, question:
> > how to upgrade and move to another HW ?
> > - first install the 0.16 on the new HW, install database-backup from old
> > box, copy /video to the new one and upgrade to 0.17
> > - install 0.17 on the new HW, copy /video and - erm, how to restore
> > db-backup ?

RTFM:

(F=fine :)

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.5

Once you've imported you db to your new system, start the backend (or
mythtv-setup?) and the schema upgrade routines will kick in.

Take note 0.17 contains major DVB related updates. You will probably
have to figure out much. This list's archive will help.

I don't know much about SuSE, but w01_75104 posted a nice FC3/DVB
howto on DVBN that could interest you:

http://www.dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=28449

> > another question:
> > if backend is upgraded to 0.17, do I need to upgrade the frontends also ? or
> > are the protocols 0.17 / 0.16 compatible ?

You need to upgrade both. Protocols are "not compatible". Can be
hacked if you don't have any choice. I did. I don't recommended it:
Too much tinkering with the code.

> What I did was I installed .17 and then I copied my .16 db files over
> to the new pc and it worked just fine.  Of course I can't garauntee
> you'll have the same experience as I did.
> I would also wait, because I hear that .18 should be coming out soon.

I concur. A lot of nice DVB/EIT updates were imported after the 0.17
release and I found that most problem I had during my upgrade to 0.17
were resolved by theses updates.

If you can't wait, get the CVS.

cyth