[mythtv-users] Sleeping instead of shutting down?

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:02:45 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 2:44 PM, Alan Hagge <ahagge at wbfa.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has had any success with configuring MythTV to
> do a suspend or standby (probably using apmsleep(1) or similar) rather
> than a full halt/poweroff?  My (desktop) motherboard doesn't power off
> the fans (bummer), but maybe newer ones do.  Basically, I want to have
> the machine go into an extremely low-power mode when idle, but I don't
> want the startup time of doing a full shutdown/restart when it's time to
> record.

I haven't tried it specifically with MythTV, but my general experience
with APM/ACPI under Linux is that if you can even get it working at
all, it will probably flake out randomly on suspends/restores -- BIOS
implementations of APM and ACPI are almost universally terrible --
personally, my Windows box will simply not restore sometimes for no
reason.

With that level of general flakyness, there is a good chance you would
lose recordings..
--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com