[mythtv-users] LVM RAID 5 partition schemes

Milan Andric mandric at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:32:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm planning on sqeezing as much as I can into a microATX case
to make my mythtv frontend/backend. I also want to make this
a media storage box/file server, ie. include a RAID 5 LVM storage setup.

I'm basically stuck on the RAID.  Since I  do not have enough data
*right now* to use the 3 x 300G RAID 5,  I'd like to just buy two
drives now and use mdadmin to
setup a RAID 5 with 2 missing drives and add drives as time goes on.

I know it's required to have 3 drives to make a RAID 5 array.  But is
there a way to fake so I can add a third drive later?  Or do I just
have to fork up the cash now?

If you could post your partition scheme or how you setup
your partitions/drives it would help me.

Has anyone tried to mix/match devices like ATA and SATA to create a raid 5 with
md? I know it's crazy but i'm just trying to consider the options for
the time being.

Here's some of my proposed hardware setup (still in the works) :

hauppauge 250

Motherboard :
MSI K7N2GM2-LSR nForce2 K7 400 DDR400 VGA 8X LAN SATA-RAID MicroATX
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/products_id/162

HDs:
3 x 300G SATA Maxtor Maxline III 16MB buffers
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2094

Case:
Cooler Master ATC-620C-BX1 Cases microATX Form
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-024&depa=0

Since the MB only has two SATA ports (couldn't find one with 4 onboard
and better to have a card anyway incase i change MB's one day) on it
i'll probably end up needing a SATA card. like the Promise TX4 (4
Port) if i want a RAID 5 ...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-038&depa=1

Thanks for any help!
--