[mythtv-users] "Feature Idea - P2P" Bad Idea

dean collins dean at collins.net.pr
Wed Apr 6 17:54:46 UTC 2005

Feature Idea - NEW

________________________________

I'm sitting here downloading a few torrents when an idea for a mytTV
feature popped into my head (it's prolly because of the heat).

The idea of combining a media sharing applet into mythTV based on the
torrent model.

In other words, as you're watching a particular TV channel, you become a

seed where others can watch the same channel you're watching. As others
connect to your server to watch the stream, they themselves become
servers
which others can connect to, and the video stream would remain intact so

long as the original seed continued to watch a particular station.

I don't know if I'm explaining this well, or if I am, if what I'm
thinking
is possible, but if it were, the idea of being able to increase the
number
of channels you have available to could be quite exciting.

Just a thought

-joe

I agree with what everyone else posted about this in that it is a really
bad idea to open Myth tv to P2P 'Cease and desist' orders. Having said
that - this feature is really similar to the Cybersky.tv software from
germany, they have won quite a few cases in the EU courts recently
because they don't actually cache the content only pass it on.

Like I said bad idea, we don't have the funding to fight these court
cases.

Cheers,

Dean