Too helpful... was Re: [mythtv-users] QT 3.3.4 and highlighted buttons

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Apr 6 08:05:30 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Tuesday 05 April 2005 14:14, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>

>>Maybe a third list should get created - mythtv-newbie
>>

>The big problem with a -newbie list is this: who's going to answer the
>questions? Its kinda like the blind leading the blind. I think Isaac is on
>the money: people need to read before posting. I don't suggest reading all
>your Myth email before posting (because there's a lot), but everyone, please
>search the mailing list archive before posting! That should head off things
>like 100 different Qt-highlighted-button threads.

Another problem (IMHO) is that too many people are _too_ helpful :)

Newbies come along and ask questions - often spending more time typing
an email than typing a few words into google.
[They're not malicious - they're usually unaware of how powerful
searching is - or sometimes just plain lazy]

And then someone answers them - and they learn how to use this new
search engine (which we call a mailing list) which, wonder of wonders,
understands vague woolly questions, asks for clarification and
eventually spits out the right answer.

So maybe when newbies post we should *all* refrain from helping and, to
bend a saying, teach them to fish instead.

David
PS I'm guilty too - and I'm not suggesting facism, just some guidance so
newbies can be more self supporting.