[mythtv-users] FC3 Install has never worked

Reggie Braswell reggman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:19:35 UTC 2005

As I lay in bed last night with dreams of a working myth solution I
sat bolt right up in bed at 3am and it hit me. What if the presence of
the ATI Radeon 9600SE was throwing a curve at this whole install?
There may be some out there that will probably say "Naw couldn't
be...". Well the 9600 has S-video out and maybe it was throwing a
wrench into everything else. I am here to tell you I dug through my
box of retired componenets and pulled out my trusty old S3 Trio 64+
PCI card and yanked the Radeon. I am happily sitting on my couch right
now watching TV over my PVR-350 card.

Problems addressed and solutions:

Problem #1:
"Once I install anything that deals with an alsa update from AT good
bye S/PDIF. Noted earlier was working fine before ATrpms. (Doesn't
matter aRts off or on, alsamixer kmix no matter what setting there is
nothing) I can get sound from the PC speakers, but the digital out to
my receiver goes away. I have read the alsa pages, customized
.asoundrc – doesn't matter. ATrpms makes that connection go into never
never land. The onboard chip on the motherboard for soundmax is
intel8xo and from what I have read is an Analog devices piece.
Problem? Yes Show stopper? No. Moving on"

Fix:
Colin wrote that he had analog working and no S/PDIF. Yeah me too.
Don't know why, but it does get clobbered with the latest alsa stuff.
Well it's not a fix as much as it is cheating. I just simply disabled
the onboard audio and stuck in my old trusty SB Live! 5.1 and used
Jarod's files. It works!

Problem 2:
"When running a stock 770 kernel lirc works great with /usr/bin/irw.
Upgrading to ATrpms lastest kernel it bombs. I get this in my
/var/log/messages:"

Fix:
Huh? What? Don't know. Remove the ATI card and it works great
now????????? Go figure?????????

Problem 3:
"Problem 3:
X on the TV. The redhat in the lower left corner is almost not even
seen and the date and time are completely gone. I read a blog where a
guy had run some ivtvctl commands to adjust X on his TV and provided
his settings for PAL. He said to tweak with them to get NTSC to line
up right. I tried half a dozen hex combinations and moved X all over
the place and at times turned X green and purple, but never quite got
it dialed in where I felt it was totally usable. I used vnc and a
laptop to get through some of the stuff, but always felt this wasn't
quite right. I thought that perhaps using vnc may be causing some
issues so I decided to work through setting up myth through the TV. (I
have done this using a display attached to my video card as well and
it never made a difference. I still never got myth going.) I used
mkinitrd from Jarod and have the PVR-350 as the standard out. (I don't
want a monitor in my den unless I am dealing with DVD home movies and
winblows)"

Fix:
Notta. It's about the same as it was. I can live with that though. I
can tweak those registers around to move the redhat in closer and the
date/time, but man did I dig myself a hole the last time I dinked with
that. I literally rendered X on the 350 completely tossed. It works
using defaults. I'm happy. Good enough.

Problem 4:
"mythtvsetup? Wtf? The next buttons don't work. The first question
about clearing the cards config. I select yes and press the space bar.
It acts like it should. Tab to next and press the spacebar and
nothing. The only way I got to the next screen was alt-f4. That
happened on the next screen as well. In the following screens I had to
be in an area that can be changed and press the enter key to move to
the next screen"

Fix:
Thank you all for letting me in on that! Duh...   ; - )

going to paypal you, but thought you might like to have a server
instead. Email me offline with a ship to and I'll send you a nice
present for all the wonderful work you did with this.

Thank you all!
Regg