[mythtv-users] FC3 Install has never worked

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:07:38 UTC 2005

On 5 Apr 2005 at 16:59, William wrote:

> I am sure this will get me some more flack from the list but here is my
> opinion anyways. My suggestion is to can that crappy FC3 and backup to FC2.
> I gave up on FC3 after many days of fighting with it (udev sucks) and
> installed Myth on FC2.

How interesting. No flack from this camp...

My experience was exactly opposite to Bill's. I was never able to get a MythTV install to
work on FC2, but FC3 was almost as easy as FC1. I've found success with FC3 on (6
or so, I forget) different machines.

Clearly, "Your Mileage May Vary."

I always take it slowly, I follow Jarod's guide exactly so that I can identify any
instructions that don't work for me and provide feedback to Jarod on anything I find that
I feel could make the guide more clear.

My last install was 3 weeks ago and went off without a hitch.

One thing I will pass on... I was trying to get the Packard Bell serial receiver to work,
and I was not finding success. It SHOULD have worked, but just didn't... couldn't see
why. I shut the computer down and went off to another to send feedback to Jarod and
while composing the email, I decided to go back look for error messages in the logs. Lo
and behold, I restarted the computer, tried the remote and it was working.

Black magic I suppose... the only thing that had happened differently was a shutdown
and restart, but there is no reason that I know of to indicate that that should have been
necessary.

Marvin Match