[mythtv-users] Capture to DV or "uncompressed" AVI instead of MPEG-PS?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 21:43:26 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 17:25, Allan Stirling wrote:
> Gregg Casillo wrote:
>
> > I doubt this is possible in MythTV, but if anyone knows if/how it
might be
> > possible to capture to DV or some sort of uncompressed AVI, please
let me
> > know.
> >

> Riiight.
>
> DV is MPEG2.

Um... no, DV is not MPEG.  What you might be confusing is the fact that
Myth now supports capturing MPEG-2 data over Firewire from digital
set-top boxes.  Since Firewire is the common transport for digital
video cameras, it would be natural to assume that they also use an MPEG
codec, but the fact is that they use DV, which is an entirely separate
codec (with much less compression than MPEG, AFAIK).

However, now that Myth supports a Firewire interface, it should be
possible to write a video capture class that can capture DV.  It's been
mention before on either this or the -dev list as being a possibility,
but I don't know if anyone's actually working on it.

-JAC