[mythtv-users] Capture to DV or "uncompressed" AVI instead of MPEG-PS?

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Tue Apr 5 21:25:06 UTC 2005

Gregg Casillo wrote:

> I doubt this is possible in MythTV, but if anyone knows if/how it might be
> possible to capture to DV or some sort of uncompressed AVI, please let me
> know.

Riiight.

DV is MPEG2.

Uncompressed video would be about 50Gb / hour.
480(x)*480(y)*30(frames/sec)*2(16 bits/pixel)

That's just the video - Uncompressed audio is about 650Mb / hour.

If you want mpeg4, there are 2 routes.

1. Fast processor (Athlon XP 2000+) and 'dumb' capture card (bttv, etc)

2. Just about any USB2 capable PC and a PX-TV402U - Which can capture
directly to MPEG4.

Both of those options are supported by Mythtv - You'll have to go CVS or
wait a week or two for the next release, however.

I don't think this will fix your issue, however. It sounds like your
editing software doesn't understand VBR.

Cheers,

Allan.