[mythtv-users] "Unable to find mythcommflag" in 0.17

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Apr 5 07:36:24 UTC 2005

> One of the several (minor) annoyances I've had with my 0.16->0.17
> upgrade is that mythcommflag won't run automatically anymore.  When I

It does run automatically, if things are properly configured.

>    "ERROR: Unable to find mythcommflag"

This error message means mythbackend can't find mythcommflag, so even
though mythcommflag is in _your_ PATH, it evidently isn't in the PATH
of the user running mythbackend or the script that is running
mythbackend.

Search for this error message on the mailing lists and you'll find
several solutions.

> I traced the error to some code in libs/libmythtv/jobqueue.cpp, but I
> can't see what that return code would be coming back from a process
> assumedly running as root when it's trying to run a program sitting in
> /usr/local/bin/ with all the other myth executables.

This has been explained quite a few times on the mailing lists, so
I'll let you read the explanations when you search for the error
message above.

> Plus I'm not seeing this problem reported by anyone else.  I know my

It was, quite a few times. :)  Previously, the mythcommflag
executable did not actually get called by mythbackend,
mythbackend directly ran the commercial flagging code internally.
This had the negative side-effect that if there were any problems
in commercial flagging that might cause a segfault, etc. whether
the issue was in the flagger, player, etc., then the backend would
go down.  In order to isolate the flagger from mythbackend, after
the JobQueue was created, I modified the JobQueue to call out to
mythcommflag rather than running the flagger code inside mythbackend.

> p.s.  Is there any easy (non-'delete from ...' mysql stuff) way to clean
> out those errors from the jobqueue (or I guess it's just emptying the
> job queue)?

You can either manually delete them or you can take the ?easy? way
out and go into the JobQueue page in mythfrontend's status screen
and delete them from there.  Select the item to delete and pick
Delete from the popup menu.

--

Chris