[mythtv-users] Going Nuts re: Nvidia Setup

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Tue Apr 5 07:09:27 UTC 2005

Hi Larry,

I also had my system (FC1) freeze on the splash screen until I commented out the glx module. I have no idea why I had to do that. On another system I made (FC3) I did not have to comment that out. And I also had my system freeze, when I used the RenderAccel setting.

Best regards
Niels Dybdahl
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry K
  To: Discussion about mythtv
  Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Going Nuts re: Nvidia Setup

  Also, I ran system-config-display, took that as a baseline, changed "nv" to "nvidia", with the same result:  nvidia splash screen, nothing more. :(

  On Apr 4, 2005 10:24 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
    Jarod,

    If I run the xorg.conf (posted in this thread) without the NvAGp or RenderAccel settings, I just get the nvidia splash screen.  Weird.

    It isn't supposed to be this hard is it? :)

    On Apr 4, 2005 7:51 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
      On Monday 04 April 2005 16:21, Larry K wrote:
      > I cant find either xorgcfg or xorgconfig or anything remotely similar. Are
      > you sure these are installed in fc 3?

      RH ships system-config-display instead. However, it'll want to configure the
      nv driver, not the nvidia driver.

      > On Apr 4, 2005 2:46 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
      > > Thanks for the input.
      > >
      > > Re: modelines...wasn't aware I needed any. I don't think Jarod has any
      > > Modelines in his xorg.conf. Please advise.

      Nope, none needed here.

      > > On Apr 4, 2005 10:48 AM, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
      > > > Hmmmm. I don't see any modelines in this file, which could be causing
      > > > the problem.

      I don't have any modelines in any of my RH/FC boxes using the nvidia driver.

      > > > As I said before it is unlikely that you need the nvidia xorg.conf
      > > > unless you're using the TV-out. If you're only running to a monitor
      > > > (which will make setup a bit easier, especially working on the command
      > > > line) you're fine keeping the original xorg.conf.

      The nv driver sucks beans compared to the nvidia driver, esp. for MythTV,
      which makes use of some of the Xv acceleration features in the nvidia driver.

      If you haven't already, try commenting out the RenderAccel and NvAGP lines in
      your xorg.conf, see what happens...

      --
      Jarod Wilson
      jarod at wilsonet.com