[mythtv-users] MythMusic skipping on OGG files

Matthew Phillips mythtv at mattp.name
Mon Apr 4 23:38:47 UTC 2005

On 05/04/2005, at 7:47 AM, James Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 22:58 +0930, Matthew Phillips wrote:
>> On 04/04/2005, at 10:15 PM, James Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've just got MythTV installed happily, and am very pleased so far.
>>> I'm
>>> having a problem with MythMusic though - it seems to be reporting
>>> track
>>> lengths wrong (generally 20 seconds or so too long), and often skips
>>> ahead
>>> a few seconds at random while playing. Most of my music is in OGG
>>> format,
>>> so it may be something specific to this format, I'm not sure. Anyone
>>> come
>>> across anything like this?
>>
>> My post of a few days ago ("MythMusic playback speed too fast") is
>> probably related - I'm seeing  a similar thing for mp3 playback minus
>> the skipping (they just play fast and end early). But I'm pretty sure
>> it's been happening for a few OGG's in the collection too.
>
> I had a bit of a hack around with module options to see if it was the
> soundcard output bitrate or anything, but with no luck. I tried setting
> the output bitrate explicitly to 44100Hz, but then everything
> noticeably
> slowed down - pitch changed and everything, but the timer on MythMusic
> still ended a few seconds early, just as before, so I put it back.
>
> I'm using the built-in AC97 sound device using the ATI IXP driver, so I
> put this in modprobe.conf to change the bitrate:
>
> options snd-atiixp ac97_clock=44100
>
> If you're not getting pitch shifting though, I guess this isn't your
> problem either...

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that if sound is working OK for
other components of the system (which it is), then this is more likely
to be related to the mp3/ogg decoders rather than the sound driver.

I haven't had time to look into this properly yet, and indeed I'm not
even sure where to start playing. Does anyone know where to start
tweaking the decoders used by MythMusic?

Cheers,

Matthew.