[mythtv-users] nuvexport cli options

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 05:35:25 UTC 2005

> As for the "quiet" stuff, I'd much rather just overload print so that
> you don't have to add "if (arg('quiet'))"  or something like that to
> every place the code prints a report.  But at that point, it might be
> better to have --quiet for hiding only the progress indicator, and
> --very-quiet for hiding everything except for STDERR.

Good idea.  Which got me thinking that my main goal with the quiet
flag would be to allow nuvexport to run fully automated as a user job
from within myth.  Along those lines, what do you think about
overloading print to update the job queue status field in mysql if the
proc is run from the job queue?  This way we'll have normal output,
--quiet to hide the progress indicator, --very-quiet to hide
everything (for normal script usage) and --jobqueue (or whatever)
which would output errors and normal progress (starting encoder,
encode complete, etc) to stdout and the job queue status field, but
instead of a progress indicator on screen it would update the job
queue status field with the completion percentage every 5% (or
whatever).

I've been looking into overloading print just for the --quiet flag and
I've been having some problems.  My perl is a little rusty, but I
thought I'd throw this idea out there and see what people think of it
while I brush up on the skills I need to implement it.

Brad