[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Apr 4 04:43:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:58:13PM -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> >In Seattle, NBC and CBS are 1080i, FOX and ABC are both 720p.
>
> Whether it varies from region to region depends on the distribution
> method: are HD network programs transmitted in digital or analog?  If
> digital, then chances are I'm simply wrong and ABC is usually 720p.  If
> analog, then the local affiliate does the encoding and can broadcast
> whatever pleases them.

HD programs are transmitted digital.   It would be (almost) impossible
to transmit them analog, and just make a lot more work for the
stations to boot.

However, my local NBC affiliate is definitely having a hard time dealing
with processing their NBC feed, which of course includes both HD programs
at 1080i and the regular SD programs.   They have some sort of switch
they have to throw at the station, it seems, and they often goof it
up.  I have no idea why it would be designed that way.  I've seen
HD shows displayed as SD converted to HD (thus double boxed) as they
always transmit 1080i even for SD programs.

The Oscars (on ABC) also goofed this, the first 30 seconds were in SD
and they threw a switch to change it to 720p HD.  This in spite of
the fact the prior program (Oscar carpet) was also HD!