[mythtv-users] Transcoding shows for Sony PSP

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Mon Apr 4 04:33:55 UTC 2005

Byron Poland wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've got this working with ffmpeg under linux.  here is a link to my
> blog where I posted the steps, and the ffmpeg command:
>
> http://tube013.org/blogs/thoughts.php?title=sony_psp_video_conversion_in_linux
>
> I have links to some ffmpeg deb's for ubuntu there as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm using SuSE on amd64, but had no problems
building the 03/03/05 cvs snapshot of ffmpeg.

> You need a pretty recent ffmpeg cvs build for the -f psp to work (note
> that around the end of march some of the cvs snapshots were broken as
> far as -f psp was concerned).
>
> Also you need to compile ffmpeg with faac support so it can encode the
> aac audio track the psp needs.
>
> here are my configure options for ffmpeg:
>
> byron at harryhood ~ $ ffmpeg
> ffmpeg version 0.4.9-pre1, build 4744, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
>   configuration:  --build i386-linux --enable-gpl --enable-vhook
> --enable-pthreads --enable-pp --enable-zlib --enable-vorbis
> --enable-a52 --enable-dts --disable-debug --disable-mmx
> --enable-dc1394 --enable-xvid --enable-faac --enable-faad
> --enable-vorbis --enable-ogg --enable-mp3lame --prefix=/usr
>   built on Mar 29 2005 11:43:17, gcc: 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)

I was more sparse, I just used --enable-faac and left everything else at
default. Then again, I'm not replacing my existing version of ffmpeg by
installing this one, I'm running it out of the build directory for now.

I see what you mean about the glitchy artifacts at the beginning of the
video. Doesn't seem to cause any other problems, but not elegant. I hope
fixes for this and the titling feature get into the main project, I
don't have time or background to dig into the win32 code for a patch.

> hope that helps some.

Certainly shaved some time off hunting for this info, thanks again.

What I'm hacking is crude. I'm creating a Myth recording profile called
PSP, and inserting a simple check that runs when a recording ends. I can
then simply set the recording profile to PSP for the shows I want to
have the option to watch on the device. When a show is recorded using
the PSP profile, it backgrounds an appropriate ffmpeg process to
transcode it. This way I have a directory with a bunch of shows always
ready to load and watch on my PSP.

I'm sure there's a simpler or more sensible method for doing this type
of thing. This should work for now though. :)