[mythtv-users] AC3 passthrough is failing in certain circumstances

Matt Redmon mythtv-user at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 06:03:18 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Redmon" <mythtv-user at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 1:02 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] AC3 passthrough is failing in certain circumstances

>I have a few video files that have Dolby AC3 encoding.  When I try to play
>them with xine or gmplayer, they play back just fine in full 5.1 glory;
>however mplayer does not do likewise.  mplayer will either spit out the
>following message and exit or display the message and continue playing the
>clip with no sound:
>
> ALSA lib setup.c:548:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem
> (MIXER,'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0,0,0): No such file or directory
>
> I've tried many different variations of -ac hwac3, and -ao alsa:default
> but all seem to either cause mplayer to exit or to play w/o sound.  Now,
> the error message seems to indicate that there is no mixer control labeled
> IEC958....   and that is true.  The problem is that I cannot seem to find
> out why it is looking for that specific mixer.
>
> I have a 7NIF2 and am using the onboard soundcard.  Absolutely everything
> else is working fine (2 channel and 5.1 surround on xine, 2 channel on
> mplayer; in recordings, videos, dvds, etc.).  I'm running 0.17 from ATRPMs
> on FC3.

I know I'm just replying to my message but I figured I'd post the solution I
figured out.  Even though I used the website recommended on Jarod's site to
set up my .asoundrc, it seems like mplayer did not like my "default" alsa
device (even though both xine (alsa:default) and gmplayer ("alsa" and all
settings set to "default") had no problem).  Passing -ao alsa:device=hw=0.2
to mplayer solved this problem.

Thanks goes to Beirdo on #mythtv-users for telling me to "ask some mplayer
experts" and Ikarus on #mplayer for telling me to "find out what ao gmplayer
is using and copy that to mplayer..."  Eventually, the man page for mplayer
(HUGE, btw) finally yielded the device= line.  If anybody has any idea why
mplayer doesn't like my "default" alsa device, I'd be interested in figuring
out (though I don't really care that much now that it is working properly).

Matt