[mythtv-users] good mATX socket 754 mobo

Michael Morgan mythtv-users at michaelmorgan.name
Fri Apr 1 23:12:53 UTC 2005

Get a VIA based socket 754 motherboard. For reasons no longer clear to me,
I thought a SiS 760 based Gigabyte K8S760M looked good. While it is a
nice motherboard, Linux has poor support for SiS interrupt handling. My
system log was overflowing with the following:
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
I turned off APIC and ACPI support, and the messages went away. My great
ignorance keeps me from knowing whether turning off APIC and ACPI support
was a good idea, but it stopped the error messages. Even though everything
works, I wonder whether it ought to perform with more zip.

I think the MSI K8MM-ILSR looks nifty, but I have not tried it. It uses the
VIA K8M800 chipset. There are many K8M800 based boards to choose from. SiS
and VIA are the two main chipset choices, and I advocate staying away from
SiS. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=16242&highlight=sis also
points to problems with a SiS based board.

Michael