[mythtv-users] good mATX socket 754 mobo

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Fri Apr 1 19:06:18 UTC 2005

That's it!  I'm sick and tired of messing with my Epia.  I finally got most
things working, but the DMA issues on the PCI bus are killing me.  Any time I
put a strain on the thing (like copying files over scp), it locks up.  Last
night it died bad enough to kill my XFS partition holding all my .nuv files.

So, I'm thinking of moving to a mATX board with a Sempron.  I want a good board
with S-Video out and oboard sound.  I also want to stay away from a VIA chipset,
since the whole Epia thing has soured me towards VIA.

If I cannot find anything with S-Video out, I have an old GF4 that I could use.
 I'm trying to avoid using it because I want to minimize the number of fans in
the system to keep noise down.

Also, if I ever decide to try HDTV, could an Athlon 64 3000+ handle it?  What if
I used xvmc with the GF4?  I have a 3000+ in my desktop machine right now and I
could switch it out to the Myth box when I upgrade my desktop.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Micah