[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 1 07:08:10 UTC 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 10:57, Todd Tidwell wrote:
> > When running "./test-mpeg2 -r 1 > testing.ts" it captures 0 bytes
> > UNLESS it is on an actual HD chanel.  Does this mean I can only
> > capture HD channels over firewire?  Or is this utility only useful in
> > testing HD capture?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> > Well,
> >
> > Try hitting control-c and then trying it again and again and see if you
> > get
> > input from the other channels.  The DCT-6200s seem to go one or two
> > ways....some of them have to use "Broadcast" connections which seems to
> > mean
> > that test-mpeg2 only works every 4th or 5th time.
> >
> > I'm in the bay area as well and I'm getting 2-80 and 702-722.
>
> Interesting.
> So is that more of a bug with the 6200, or is it a but with test-mpeg2
> not being able to compensate the "broadcast" connection.
>
> Basically I'm trying to figure out if this is the route (using
> firewire) that I want to take...
> If I can only get 2-80 and 702-722 for now, but the mpeg2ts is going
> to be improving and I'll get more channels in a few months... then I'd
> obviously stick with firewire.  However, if its an inherent and
> unresolvable issue, I might just go with the PVR-150MCE.

> [Todd Tidwell]
> I'd recommend buying the 150 or 500 from Hauppauge for now.  The mpegts
> stuff is nice, but it's a bit limited right now and you could get all your
> channels with a 150 and play with the firewire until you get it where you
> want it.

My box only gives me stuff on the HD channels. Might do others if I tweaked
the settings on the box to do 480p for standard-def programming, but its just
not worth it to me. I prefer to have the cable box dedicated to capturing
only HD programming, and let a PVR-x50 handle analog recordings (which
primarily amounts to kids shows anymore, I record just about everything in HD
now).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com