[mythtv-users] Daylight Savings Time, NTP, and reboot

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Fri Apr 1 03:51:02 UTC 2005

Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>> I don't think that would be an appropriate test.  When daylight
>> savings time comes into effect, the computer's clock isn't adjusted by
>> an hour; it's just the human-readable display of the time that
>> changes.
>
> Depends - I think when the clock is set to local it has to actually
> change the clock, but when it's UTC it's just the display that
> changes.

I think you're talking about the hardware clock, which isn't really
relevant.  It's only used to set the system time when the machine
boots, and then it is typically ignored.  The system time is the
clock used by linux while running, and is by definition the number of
seconds since 00:00:00 January 1, 1970 UTC, independent of timezone,
daylight savings time, etc.  So this shouldn't be affected by the
DST switch.

Dan