[mythtv-users] myth-setup question

Dave david.collett at dart.net.au
Thu Sep 30 06:25:26 EDT 2004

Ok, that was rude of me anyway (sorry FieryRed!), allow me to be more
constructive:

You will need to compile mythtv with DVB support.
To do this you have to have the DVB header files around. If you compiled
your own kernel, then you will have them in you kernel sources (eg.
/usr/src/linux or simillar). If not, you can grab the dvb-kernel package
from linuxtv.org and unpack it somewhere. You shouldnt have to compile
and use these drivers, keep using the ones you have working. You only
need this package for the header files. (the relevant interfaces wont
have changed I dont expect, so there shouldnt be any version-mismatch
issues...)

Then in your mythtv build directory, edit the settings.pro file and
uncomment the section dealing with DVB. One of the variables adds the
path to the header files, make sure that points to where you unpacked
the dvb-kernel sources.

Then recompile mythtv! you can clean it out and recompile like this:

make distclean # this cleans up
./configure
qmake mythtv.pro
make
make install

Then when you have finished and run setup, select the Digital Video
Broadcast option. When you add channels, you will have screens which let
you to enter the frequency, pids etc. There are lots of variables there.
You *may* not need to enter them all (the driver automatically figures
much of them out (does for my dvb-t cards anyway...)), just add what you
know and leave the rest at 'auto'.

Hope this helps.

Dave